1. Why the topic of burnout?
- Because it affects all of us, and yet it's not talked about much in this field
- Disclaimer: We am not a doctor. Or a psychiatrist or psychologist. Nor did we stay in a holiday inn express...
- Personal Connection
1. Reason for sabbatical
2. Martin's story
- Recognizing Burnout
1. Symptoms may mirror depression
- "The Creeping Malaise"
2. Physical symptoms
2. Panic Attacks, etc
3. Isolation - even while in a crowd
3. It's been around for a long time. <http://www.secburnout.org/> & <http://www.slideshare.net/secburnout/burnout-in-information-security> are from 2011/12
- Easy Traps
1. "It won't happen to me"
2. "I just have to make it through this busy season and this end of quarter and the end of FY and…"
3. "Everybody else is exactly the same…"
4. Conferences are not vacations and shouldn't be seen that way. Cons can be very hard work.
- Mitigation Strategies
1. Outdoor hobbies
- Just get outside and away from screens
2. A physical, people you can talk to in person community
3. Exercise & diet
4. Creating and enforcing boundaries (emotional and physical)
- What burnout isn't…
1. Not liking your job or employer (that's quite the opposite problem, actually)
2. Just hard work for a little while